- 1. preventive, preventative, prophylactic, remedy, curative, cure, therapeutic
- usage: remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease; "the doctor recommended several preventatives"
- 2. condom, rubber, safety, safe, prophylactic, contraceptive, preventive, preventative, contraceptive device, prophylactic device, birth control device
- usage: contraceptive device consisting of a sheath of thin rubber or latex that is worn over the penis during intercourse
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. contraceptive, prophylactic, antifertility, protective (vs. unprotective)
- usage: capable of preventing conception or impregnation; "contraceptive devices and medications"
- 2. cautionary, prophylactic, protective (vs. unprotective)
- usage: warding off; "the swastika...a very ancient prophylactic symbol occurring among all peoples"- Victor Schultze
- 3. preventive, preventative, prophylactic, healthful (vs. unhealthful)
- usage: preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease; "preventive medicine"; "vaccines are prophylactic"; "a prophylactic drug"
All rights reserved.
See also: prophylactic (Dictionary)