- 1. promise, speech act, commitment, dedication
- usage: a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
- 2. promise, hope, expectation, outlook, prospect
- usage: grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. promise, assure, declare
- usage: make a promise or commitment
- 2. promise, declare
- usage: promise to undertake or give; "I promise you my best effort"
- 3. predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, anticipate, promise, guess, venture, pretend, hazard
- usage: make a prediction about; tell in advance; "Call the outcome of an election"
- 4. promise, be
- usage: give grounds for expectations; "The new results were promising"; "The results promised fame and glory"
All rights reserved.
See also: promise (Dictionary)