WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. prohibition, law
- usage: a law forbidding the sale of alcoholic beverages; "in 1920 the 18th amendment to the Constitution established prohibition in the US"
- 2. prohibition, ban, proscription, decree, edict, fiat, order, rescript
- usage: a decree that prohibits something
- 3. prohibition, prohibition era, time period, period of time, period
- usage: the period from 1920 to 1933 when the sale of alcoholic beverages was prohibited in the United States by a constitutional amendment
- 4. prohibition, refusal
- usage: refusal to approve or assent to
- 5. prohibition, inhibition, forbiddance, action
- usage: the action of prohibiting or inhibiting or forbidding (or an instance thereof); "they were restrained by a prohibition in their charter"; "a medical inhibition of alcoholic beverages"; "he ignored his parents' forbiddance"
All rights reserved.
See also: prohibition (Dictionary)