- 1. primary, primary election, election
- usage: a preliminary election where delegates or nominees are chosen
- 2. primary, primary feather, primary quill, flight feather, pinion, quill, quill feather
- usage: one of the main flight feathers projecting along the outer edge of a bird's wing
- 3. primary, celestial body, heavenly body
- usage: (astronomy) a celestial body (especially a star) relative to other objects in orbit around it
- 4. primary coil, primary winding, primary, coil
- usage: coil forming the part of an electrical circuit such that changing current in it induces a current in a neighboring circuit; "current through the primary coil induces current in the secondary coil"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. primary (vs. secondary), capital, direct, firsthand, first-string, original, particular, special, essential, first, original
- usage: of first rank or importance or value; direct and immediate rather than secondary; "primary goals"; "a primary effect"; "primary sources"; "a primary interest"
- 2. primary, underived (vs. derived)
- usage: not derived from or reducible to something else; basic; "a primary instinct"
- 3. chief(prenominal), main(prenominal), primary(prenominal), principal(prenominal), master(prenominal), important (vs. unimportant), of import
- usage: most important element; "the chief aim of living"; "the main doors were of solid glass"; "the principal rivers of America"; "the principal example"; "policemen were primary targets"; "the master bedroom"; "a master switch"
- 4. elementary, elemental, primary, basic (vs. incidental)
- usage: of or being the essential or basic part; "an elementary need for love and nurturing"
- 5. basal, primary, essential (vs. inessential)
- usage: of primary importance
All rights reserved.
See also: primary (Dictionary)