WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. predominate, dominate, rule, reign, prevail
- usage: be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance; "Money reigns supreme here"; "Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood"
- 2. prevail, hold, obtain, exist, be
- usage: be valid, applicable, or true; "This theory still holds"
- 3. prevail, persist, die hard, run, endure, continue
- usage: continue to exist; "These stories die hard"; "The legend of Elvis endures"
- 4. prevail, triumph, win
- usage: prove superior; "The champion prevailed, though it was a hard fight"
- 5. prevail, persuade
- usage: use persuasion successfully; "He prevailed upon her to visit his parents"
All rights reserved.
See also: prevail (Dictionary)