WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pretentious (vs. unpretentious), arty, artsy-craftsy, arty-crafty, grandiloquent, overblown, pompous, pontifical, portentous, grandiose, hifalutin, highfalutin, highfaluting, hoity-toity, la-di-da, high-flown, high-sounding, inflated, jumped-up, nouveau-riche, parvenu, parvenue, upstart(prenominal), sententious, sesquipedalian, tasteless
- usage: making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a pretentious fraud"; "a pretentious scholarly edition"
- 2. ostentatious (vs. unostentatious), pretentious, flaunty, flamboyant, showy, splashy
- usage: intended to attract notice and impress others; "an ostentatious sable coat"
- 3. ostentatious, pretentious, tasteless (vs. tasteful)
- usage: (of a display) tawdry or vulgar
All rights reserved.
See also: pretentious (Dictionary)