WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pretension, pretense, pretence, artificiality
- usage: a false or unsupportable quality
- 2. guise, pretense, pretence, pretext, semblance, gloss, color, colour
- usage: an artful or simulated semblance; "under the guise of friendship he betrayed them"
- 3. pretense, pretence, feigning, dissembling, misrepresentation, deceit, deception
- usage: pretending with intention to deceive
- 4. pretense, pretence, make-believe, imagination, imaging, imagery, mental imagery
- usage: imaginative intellectual play
- 5. pretense, pretence, pretending, simulation, feigning, deception, deceit, dissembling, dissimulation
- usage: the act of giving a false appearance; "his conformity was only pretending"
All rights reserved.
See also: pretence (Dictionary)