WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. preemption, pre-emption, legal principle, judicial principle, judicial doctrine
- usage: the judicial principle asserting the supremacy of federal over state legislation on the same subject
- 2. preemption, pre-emption, legal right
- usage: the right of a government to seize or appropriate something (as property)
- 3. preemption, pre-emption, right
- usage: the right to purchase something in advance of others
- 4. preemption, pre-emption, appropriation
- usage: a prior appropriation of something; "the preemption of bandwidth by commercial interests"
All rights reserved.
See also: preemption (Dictionary)