- 1. airs, pose, affectedness
- usage: affected manners intended to impress others; "don't put on airs with me"
- 2. pose, position, posture, attitude
- usage: a posture assumed by models for photographic or artistic purposes
- 3. affectation, mannerism, pose, affectedness, pretense, pretence, pretending, simulation, feigning
- usage: a deliberate pretense or exaggerated display
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. present, pose, constitute, represent, make up, comprise, be
- usage: introduce; "This poses an interesting question"
- 2. model, pose, sit, posture, expose, exhibit, display
- usage: assume a posture as for artistic purposes; "We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often"
- 3. pose, impersonate, personate, deceive, betray, lead astray
- usage: pretend to be someone you are not; sometimes with fraudulent intentions; "She posed as the Czar's daughter"
- 4. pose, posture, behave, acquit, bear, deport, conduct, comport, carry
- usage: behave affectedly or unnaturally in order to impress others; "Don't pay any attention to him--he is always posing to impress his peers!"; "She postured and made a total fool of herself"
- 5. put, set, place, pose, position, lay, move, displace
- usage: put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
- 6. perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound, confuse, throw, fox, befuddle, fuddle, bedevil, confound, discombobulate
- usage: be a mystery or bewildering to; "This beats me!"; "Got me--I don't know the answer!"; "a vexing problem"; "This question really stuck me"
All rights reserved.
See also: pose (Dictionary)