- 1. porter, laborer, manual laborer, labourer, jack
- usage: a person employed to carry luggage and supplies
- 2. doorkeeper, doorman, door guard, hall porter, porter, gatekeeper, ostiary, guard
- usage: someone who guards an entrance
- 3. Porter, Katherine Anne Porter
- usage: United States writer of novels and short stories (1890-1980)
- 4. Porter, Cole Porter, Cole Albert Porter
- usage: United States composer and lyricist of musical comedies (1891-1946)
- 5. Porter, William Sydney Porter, O. Henry
- usage: United States writer of short stories whose pen name was O. Henry (1862-1910)
- 6. porter, Pullman porter, employee
- usage: a railroad employee who assists passengers (especially on sleeping cars)
- 7. porter, porter's beer, ale
- usage: a very dark sweet ale brewed from roasted unmalted barley
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. porter, transport, carry
- usage: carry luggage or supplies; "They portered the food up Mount Kilimanjaro for the tourists"
All rights reserved.
See also: porter (Dictionary)