- 1. pontifical, vestment
- usage: the vestments and other insignia of a pontiff (especially a bishop)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. papal, apostolic, apostolical, pontifical
- usage: proceeding from or ordered by or subject to a pope or the papacy regarded as the successor of the Apostles; "papal dispensation"
- 2. episcopal, pontifical
- usage: denoting or governed by or relating to a bishop or bishops
- 3. grandiloquent, overblown, pompous, pontifical, portentous, pretentious (vs. unpretentious)
- usage: puffed up with vanity; "a grandiloquent and boastful manner"; "overblown oratory"; "a pompous speech"; "pseudo-scientific gobbledygook and pontifical hooey"- Newsweek
All rights reserved.
See also: pontifical (Dictionary)