- 1. polish, smooth, smoothen, shine, fancify, beautify, embellish, prettify
- usage: make (a surface) shine; "shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes"
- 2. polish, refine, fine-tune, down, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; "refine one's style of writing"
- 3. polish, round, round off, polish up, brush up, perfect, hone
- usage: bring to a highly developed, finished, or refined state; "polish your social manners"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. polished (vs. unpolished), bright, burnished, lustrous, shining, shiny, finished, bright
- usage: perfected or made shiny and smooth; "his polished prose"; "in a freshly ironed dress and polished shoes"; "freshly polished silver"
- 2. polished, refined, svelte, urbane, sophisticated (vs. naive)
- usage: showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience; "his polished manner"; "maintained an urbane tone in his letters"
- 3. milled, polished, processed (vs. unprocessed)
- usage: (of grains especially rice) having the husk or outer layers removed; "polished rice"
- 4. dressed, polished, finished (vs. unfinished)
- usage: (of lumber or stone) to trim and smooth
All rights reserved.
See also: polished (Dictionary)