- 1. plug, stopper, stopple, blockage, block, closure, occlusion, stop, stoppage
- usage: blockage consisting of an object designed to fill a hole tightly
- 2. chew, chaw, cud, quid, plug, wad, morsel, bit, bite
- usage: a wad of something chewable as tobacco
- 3. ballyhoo, hoopla, hype, plug, promotion, publicity, promotional material, packaging
- usage: blatant or sensational promotion
- 4. spark plug, sparking plug, plug, electrical device
- usage: electrical device that fits into the cylinder head of an internal-combustion engine and ignites the gas by means of an electric spark
- 5. plug, male plug, electrical device
- usage: an electrical device with two or three pins that is inserted in a socket to make an electrical connection
- 6. fireplug, fire hydrant, plug, hydrant
- usage: an upright hydrant for drawing water to use in fighting a fire
- 7. hack, jade, nag, plug, horse, Equus caballus
- usage: an old or over-worked horse
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. plug, stop up, secure, close, fill up
- usage: fill or close tightly with or as if with a plug; "plug the hole"; "stop up the leak"
- 2. plug, plug away, persevere, persist, hang in, hang on, hold on
- usage: persist in working hard; "Students must plug away at this problem"
- 3. punch, plug, hit
- usage: deliver a quick blow to; "he punched me in the stomach"
- 4. plug, advertise, advertize, promote, push
- usage: make a plug for; praise the qualities or in order to sell or promote
- 5. plug, insert, enclose, inclose, stick in, put in, introduce
- usage: insert a plug into; "plug the wall"
- 6. plug, insert, enclose, inclose, stick in, put in, introduce
- usage: insert as a plug; "She plugged a cork in the wine bottle"
All rights reserved.
See also: plug (Dictionary)