- 1. home plate, home base, home, plate, base, bag
- usage: (baseball) base consisting of a rubber slab where the batter stands; it must be touched by a base runner in order to score; "he ruled that the runner failed to touch home"
- 2. plate, sheet, flat solid
- usage: a sheet of metal or wood or glass or plastic
- 3. plate, illustration
- usage: a full-page illustration (usually on slick paper)
- 4. plate, flatware
- usage: dish on which food is served or from which food is eaten
- 5. plate, plateful, containerful
- usage: the quantity contained in a plate
- 6. plate, crustal plate, crust, Earth's crust
- usage: a rigid layer of the Earth's crust that is believed to drift slowly
- 7. plate, cut of beef
- usage: the thin under portion of the forequarter
- 8. plate, entree, main course
- usage: a main course served on a plate; "a vegetable plate"; "the blue plate special"
- 9. plate, structure, anatomical structure, complex body part, bodily structure, body structure
- usage: any flat platelike body structure or part
- 10. plate, anode
- usage: the positively charged electrode in a vacuum tube
- 11. plate, photographic plate, sheet, flat solid
- usage: a flat sheet of metal or glass on which a photographic image can be recorded
- 12. plate, structural member
- usage: structural member consisting of a horizontal beam that provides bearing and anchorage
- 13. plate, collection plate, receptacle
- usage: a shallow receptacle for collection in church
- 14. plate, scale, shell, shield
- usage: a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- 15. denture, dental plate, plate, dental appliance
- usage: a dental appliance that artificially replaces missing teeth
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. plate, coat, surface
- usage: coat with a layer of metal; "plate spoons with silver"
All rights reserved.
See also: plate (Dictionary)