WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pillar, principle, rule
- usage: a fundamental principle or practice; "science eroded the pillars of superstition"
- 2. column, tower, pillar, shape, form
- usage: anything that approximates the shape of a column or tower; "the test tube held a column of white powder"; "a tower of dust rose above the horizon"; "a thin pillar of smoke betrayed their campsite"
- 3. pillar, mainstay, supporter, protagonist, champion, admirer, booster, friend
- usage: a prominent supporter; "he is a pillar of the community"
- 4. column, pillar, structure, construction
- usage: a vertical cylindrical structure standing alone and not supporting anything (such as a monument)
- 5. column, pillar, upright, vertical
- usage: (architecture) a tall vertical cylindrical structure standing upright and used to support a structure
All rights reserved.
See also: pillar (Dictionary)