- 1. piece, part, portion
- usage: a separate part of a whole; "an important piece of the evidence"
- 2. piece, item
- usage: an item that is an instance of some type; "he designed a new piece of equipment"; "she bought a lovely piece of china";
- 3. part, piece, thing
- usage: a portion of a natural object; "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
- 4. musical composition, opus, composition, piece, piece of music, music
- usage: a musical work that has been created; "the composition is written in four movements"
- 5. piece, bit, case, instance, example
- usage: an instance of some kind; "it was a nice piece of work"; "he had a bit of good luck"
- 6. piece, creation
- usage: an artistic or literary composition; "he wrote an interesting piece on Iran"; "the children acted out a comic piece to amuse the guests"
- 7. firearm, piece, small-arm, gun
- usage: a portable gun; "he wore his firearm in a shoulder holster"
- 8. piece, slice, helping, portion, serving
- usage: a serving that has been cut from a larger portion; "a piece of pie"; "a slice of bread"
- 9. piece, distance
- usage: a distance; "it is down the road a piece"
- 10. objet d'art, art object, piece, work of art
- usage: a work of art of some artistic value; "this store sells only objets d'art"; "it is not known who created this piece"
- 11. while, piece, spell, patch, time
- usage: a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition; "he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
- 12. slice, piece, share, portion, part, percentage
- usage: a share of something; "a slice of the company's revenue"
- 13. man, piece, game equipment
- usage: game equipment consisting of an object used in playing certain board games; "he taught me to set up the men on the chess board"; "he sacrificed a piece to get a strategic advantage"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. patch, piece, join, conjoin
- usage: to join or unite the pieces of; "patch the skirt"
- 2. assemble, piece, put together, set up, tack, tack together, join, bring together, make, create
- usage: create by putting components or members together; "She pieced a quilt"; "He tacked together some verses"; "They set up a committee"
- 3. piece, splice
- usage: join during spinning; "piece the broken pieces of thread, slivers, and rovings"
- 4. nibble, pick, piece, eat
- usage: eat intermittently; take small bites of; "He pieced at the sandwich all morning"; "She never eats a full meal--she just nibbles"
- 5. piece, patch, repair, mend, fix, bushel, doctor, furbish up, restore, touch on
- usage: repair by adding pieces; "She pieced the china cup"
All rights reserved.
See also: piece (Dictionary)