WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Phoenix, capital of Arizona
- usage: the state capital and largest city located in south central Arizona; situated in a former desert that has become a prosperous agricultural area thanks to irrigation
- 2. phoenix, genus Phoenix, monocot genus, liliopsid genus
- usage: a large monocotyledonous genus of pinnate-leaved palms found in Asia and Africa
- 3. phoenix, mythical being
- usage: a legendary Arabian bird said to periodically burn itself to death and emerge from the ashes as a new phoenix; according to most versions only one phoenix lived at a time and it renewed itself every 500 years
- 4. Phoenix
- usage: a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Tucana and Sculptor
All rights reserved.
See also: phoenix (Dictionary)