- 1. phase, stage, time period, period of time, period
- usage: any distinct time period in a sequence of events; "we are in a transitional stage in which many former ideas must be revised or rejected"
- 2. phase, form, state of matter, state
- usage: (physical chemistry) a distinct state of matter in a system; matter that is identical in chemical composition and physical state and separated from other material by the phase boundary; "the reaction occurs in the liquid phase of the system"
- 3. phase, phase angle, point, point in time
- usage: a particular point in the time of a cycle; measured from some arbitrary zero and expressed as an angle
- 4. phase, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: (astronomy) the particular appearance of a body's state of illumination (especially one of the recurring shapes of the part of Earth's moon that is illuminated by the sun); "the full phase of the moon"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. phase, stage, arrange
- usage: arrange in phases or stages; "phase a withdrawal"
- 2. phase, synchronize, synchronise, sync
- usage: adjust so as to be in a synchronized condition; "he phased the intake with the output of the machine"
All rights reserved.
See also: phase (Dictionary)