WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. plague, pestilence, pest, pestis, epidemic disease
- usage: a serious (sometimes fatal) infection of rodents caused by Yersinia pestis and accidentally transmitted to humans by the bite of a flea that has bitten an infected animal
- 2. plague, pestilence, pest, epidemic disease
- usage: any epidemic disease with a high death rate
- 3. pestilence, canker, influence
- usage: a pernicious and malign influence that is hard to get rid of; "racism is a pestilence at the heart of the nation"; "according to him, I was the canker in their midst"
All rights reserved.
See also: pestilence (Dictionary)