WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. plague, pestilence, pest, pestis, epidemic disease
- usage: a serious (sometimes fatal) infection of rodents caused by Yersinia pestis and accidentally transmitted to humans by the bite of a flea that has bitten an infected animal
- 2. plague, pestilence, pest, epidemic disease
- usage: any epidemic disease with a high death rate
- 3. pest, blighter, cuss, pesterer, gadfly, tormentor, tormenter, persecutor
- usage: a persistently annoying person
- 4. pest, animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
- usage: any unwanted and destructive insect or other animal that attacks food or crops or livestock etc.; "he sprayed the garden to get rid of pests"; "many pests have developed resistance to the common pesticides"
All rights reserved.
See also: pest (Dictionary)