- 1. license, licence, permit, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: a legal document giving official permission to do something
- 2. license, permission, permit, authorization, authorisation, empowerment
- usage: the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
- 3. permit, Trachinotus falcatus, pompano
- usage: large game fish; found in waters of the West Indies
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. permit, allow, let, countenance, accept, consent, go for
- usage: consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- 2. let, allow, permit
- usage: make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
- 3. allow, permit, tolerate, permit, allow, let, countenance
- usage: allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting; "We don't allow dogs here"; "Children are not permitted beyond this point"; "We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
All rights reserved.
See also: permit (Dictionary)