- 1. pawn, pledge
- usage: an article deposited as security
- 2. instrument, pawn, cat's-paw, assistant, helper, help, supporter
- usage: a person used by another to gain an end
- 3. pawn, chessman, chess piece
- usage: (chess) the least powerful piece; moves only forward and captures only to the side; it can be promoted to a more powerful piece if it reaches the 8th rank
- 4. pawn, borrowing
- usage: borrowing and leaving an article as security for repayment of the loan
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pawn, soak, hock, consign, charge
- usage: leave as a guarantee in return for money; "pawn your grandfather's gold watch"
All rights reserved.
See also: pawn (Dictionary)