- 1. pastorale, pastoral, idyll, idyl, musical composition, opus, composition, piece, piece of music
- usage: a musical composition that evokes rural life
- 2. pastoral, letter, missive
- usage: a letter from a pastor to the congregation
- 3. pastoral, literary composition, literary work
- usage: a literary work idealizing the rural life (especially the life of shepherds)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pastoral
- usage: of or relating to a pastor; "pastoral work"; "a pastoral letter"
- 2. bucolic, pastoral
- usage: relating to shepherds or herdsmen or devoted to raising sheep or cattle; "pastoral seminomadic people"; "pastoral land"; "a pastoral economy"
- 3. arcadian, bucolic, pastoral, rural (vs. urban)
- usage: (used with regard to idealized country life) idyllically rustic; "a country life of arcadian contentment"; "a pleasant bucolic scene"; "charming in its pastoral setting"; "rustic tranquility"
All rights reserved.
See also: pastoral (Dictionary)