- 1. upstart, parvenu, nouveau-riche, arriviste, unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- usage: a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. nouveau-riche, parvenu, parvenue, upstart(prenominal), pretentious (vs. unpretentious)
- usage: characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
- 2. parvenu, parvenue, new (vs. old)
- usage: of or characteristic of a parvenu
All rights reserved.
See also: parvenu (Dictionary)