- 1. part, portion, component part, component, constituent, relation
- usage: something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"
- 2. part, portion, object, physical object
- usage: something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
- 3. part, piece, thing
- usage: a portion of a natural object; "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
- 4. part, concern
- usage: that which concerns a person with regard to a particular role or situation; "it requires vigilance on our part"; "they resisted every effort on his part"
- 5. region, part, location
- usage: the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
- 6. function, office, part, role, duty
- usage: the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- 7. character, role, theatrical role, part, persona, portrayal, characterization, enactment, personation
- usage: an actor's portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
- 8. share, portion, part, percentage, assets
- usage: assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
- 9. part, section, division, concept, conception, construct
- usage: one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole; "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
- 10. part, parting, line
- usage: a line of scalp that can be seen when sections of hair are combed in opposite directions; "his part was right in the middle"
- 11. part, voice, tune, melody, air, strain, melodic line, line, melodic phrase
- usage: the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music; "he tried to sing the tenor part"
- 12. contribution, part, share, attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try
- usage: the part played by a person in bringing about a result; "I am proud of my contribution in advancing the project"; "they all did their share of the work"
- 1. separate, part, split, move
- usage: go one's own way; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
- 2. separate, part, split up, split, break, break up
- usage: discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- 3. depart, part, start, start out, set forth, set off, set out, take off, leave, go forth, go away
- usage: leave; "The family took off for Florida"
- 4. separate, divide, part, change
- usage: come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
- 5. separate, disunite, divide, part, move, displace
- usage: force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. partially, partly, part
- usage: in part; in some degree; not wholly; "I felt partly to blame"; "He was partially paralyzed"
All rights reserved.
See also: part (Dictionary)