WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. parity, para, pregnancy, gestation, maternity
- usage: (obstetrics) the number of liveborn children a woman has delivered; "the parity of the mother must be considered"; "a bipara is a woman who has given birth to two children"
- 2. parity, mathematical relation
- usage: (mathematics) a relation between a pair of integers: if both integers are odd or both are even they have the same parity; if one is odd and the other is even they have different parity; "parity is often used to check the integrity of transmitted data"
- 3. parity bit, parity, check bit, bit
- usage: (computer science) a bit that is used in an error detection procedure in which a 0 or 1 is added to each group of bits so that it will have either an odd number of 1's or an even number of 1's; e.g., if the parity is odd then any group of bits that arrives with an even number of 1's must contain an error
- 4. parity, conservation of parity, space-reflection symmetry, mirror symmetry, conservation
- usage: (physics) parity is conserved in a universe in which the laws of physics are the same in a right-handed system of coordinates as in a left-handed system
- 5. parity, equivalence
- usage: functional equality
All rights reserved.
See also: parity (Dictionary)