- 1. painting, picture, graphic art
- usage: graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface; "a small painting by Picasso"; "he bought the painting as an investment"; "his pictures hang in the Louvre"
- 2. painting, art, artistic creation, artistic production, fine arts, beaux arts
- usage: creating a picture with paints; "he studied painting and sculpture for many years"
- 3. painting, application, coating, covering
- usage: the act of applying paint to a surface; "you can finish the job of painting faster with a roller than with a brush"
- 4. painting, house painting, trade, craft
- usage: the occupation of a house painter; "house painting was the only craft he knew"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. paint, create
- usage: make a painting; "he painted all day in the garden"; "He painted a painting of the garden"
- 2. paint, coat, surface
- usage: apply paint to; coat with paint; "We painted the rooms yellow"
- 3. paint, represent, interpret
- usage: make a painting of; "He painted his mistress many times"
- 4. paint, cover
- usage: apply a liquid to; e.g., paint the gutters with linseed oil
All rights reserved.
See also: painting (Dictionary)