WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. painful (vs. painless), aching, achy, agonized, agonised, agonizing, agonising, excruciating, harrowing, torturing, torturous, torturesome, biting, bitter, chafed, galled, poignant, itchy, racking, wrenching, saddle-sore, sensitive, sore, raw, tender, traumatic, harmful, inhumane
- usage: causing physical or psychological pain; "worked with painful slowness"
- 2. afflictive, painful, sore, unpleasant (vs. pleasant)
- usage: causing misery or pain or distress; "it was a sore trial to him"; "the painful process of growing up"
- 3. atrocious, abominable, awful, dreadful, painful, terrible, unspeakable, bad (vs. good)
- usage: exceptionally bad or displeasing; "atrocious taste"; "abominable workmanship"; "an awful voice"; "dreadful manners"; "a painful performance"; "terrible handwriting"; "an unspeakable odor came sweeping into the room"
- 4. irritating, painful, uncomfortable (vs. comfortable)
- usage: causing physical discomfort; "bites of black flies are more than irritating; they can be very painful"
All rights reserved.
See also: painful (Dictionary)