WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. get the better of, overcome, defeat
- usage: win a victory over; "You must overcome all difficulties"; "defeat your enemies"; "He overcame his shyness"; "He overcame his infirmity"; "Her anger got the better of her and she blew up"
- 2. overcome, get over, subdue, surmount, master, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: get on top of; deal with successfully; "He overcame his shyness"
- 3. overwhelm, overpower, sweep over, whelm, overcome, overtake, arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke
- usage: overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
- 4. get the best, have the best, overcome, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: overcome, usually through no fault or weakness of the person that is overcome; "Heart disease can get the best of us"
All rights reserved.
See also: overcome (Dictionary)