- 1. number, figure, amount
- usage: the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals; "he had a number of chores to do"; "the number of parameters is small"; "the figure was about a thousand"
- 2. number, definite quantity
- usage: a concept of quantity involving zero and units; "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- 3. act, routine, number, turn, bit, performance, public presentation
- usage: a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program; "he did his act three times every evening"; "she had a catchy little routine"; "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
- 4. phone number, telephone number, number, signal, signaling, sign
- usage: the number is used in calling a particular telephone; "he has an unlisted number"
- 5. numeral, number, symbol
- usage: a symbol used to represent a number; "he learned to write the numerals before he went to school"
- 6. issue, number, periodical
- usage: one of a series published periodically; "she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist's waiting room"
- 7. number, company
- usage: a select company of people; "I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- 8. number, identification number, positive identification
- usage: a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification; "she refused to give them her Social Security number"
- 9. number, size
- usage: a clothing measurement; "a number 13 shoe"
- 10. number, grammatical category, syntactic category
- usage: the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural); "in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
- 11. number, merchandise, ware, product
- usage: an item of merchandise offered for sale; "she preferred the black nylon number"; "this sweater is an all-wool number"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. total, number, add up, come, amount, be
- usage: add up in number or quantity; "The bills amounted to $2,000"; "The bill came to $2,000"
- 2. number, designate, denominate
- usage: give numbers to; "You should number the pages of the thesis"
- 3. number, list, name, identify
- usage: enumerate; "We must number the names of the great mathematicians"
- 4. count, number, classify, class, sort, assort, sort out, separate
- usage: put into a group; "The academy counts several Nobel Prize winners among its members"
- 5. count, number, enumerate, numerate, determine, find, find out, ascertain
- usage: determine the number or amount of; "Can you count the books on your shelf?"; "Count your change"
- 6. number, keep down, limit, circumscribe, confine
- usage: place a limit on the number of
All rights reserved.
See also: number (Dictionary)