- 1. North
- usage: the region of the United States lying to the north of the Mason-Dixon line
- 2. Union, North
- usage: the United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War); "he has visited every state in the Union"; "Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"; "the North's superior resources turned the scale"
- 3. north, due north, northward, N, cardinal compass point
- usage: the cardinal compass point that is at 0 or 360 degrees
- 4. north, location
- usage: a location in the northern part of a country, region, or city
- 5. north, direction
- usage: the direction corresponding to the northward cardinal compass point
- 6. north, magnetic north, compass north, direction
- usage: the direction in which a compass needle points
- 7. North, Frederick North, Second Earl of Guilford
- usage: British statesman under George III whose policies led to rebellion in the American colonies (1732-1792)
- 1. north (vs. south), northbound, northward, north-central, northerly, northern, northerly, northern, northernmost, northmost, northeastern, northeasterly, northeast, northeasterly, northeast, northeastward, northwestern, northwesterly, northwest, northwesterly, northwest, northwestward
- usage: situated in or facing or moving toward or coming from the north; "artists like north light"; "the north portico"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. north, northerly, northwards, northward
- usage: in a northern direction; "they earn more up north"; "Let's go north!"
All rights reserved.
See also: north (Dictionary)