WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Nicaea
- usage: an ancient city in Bithynia; founded in the 4th century BC and flourished under the Romans; the Nicene Creed was adopted there in 325
- 2. Nicaea, Second Council of Nicaea, ecumenical council
- usage: the seventh ecumenical council in 787 which refuted iconoclasm and regulated the veneration of holy images
- 3. Nicaea, First Council of Nicaea, ecumenical council
- usage: the first ecumenical council in 325 which produced the wording of the Nicene Creed and condemned the heresy of Arianism
All rights reserved.
See also: nicaea (Dictionary)