WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. neutralize, change, alter, modify
- usage: make politically neutral and thus inoffensive; "The treaty neutralized the small republic"
- 2. neutralize, neutralise, nullify, negate, weaken
- usage: make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of; "Her optimism neutralizes his gloom"; "This action will negate the effect of my efforts"
- 3. counteract, countervail, neutralize, counterbalance, cancel, offset, set off
- usage: oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions; "This will counteract the foolish actions of my colleagues"
- 4. neutralize, neutralise, liquidate, waste, knock off, do in, kill
- usage: get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing; "The mafia liquidated the informer"; "the double agent was neutralized"
- 5. neutralize, neutralise, demilitarize, demilitarise
- usage: make incapable of military action
- 6. neutralize, neutralise, change, alter, modify
- usage: make chemically neutral; "She neutralized the solution"
All rights reserved.
See also: neutralize (Dictionary)