Synonyms of near
- 1. approach, near, come on, go up, draw near, draw close, come near, come, come up
- usage: move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
- 1. near (vs. far), close, nigh, adjacent, nearby, warm, hot
- usage: not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances; "near neighbors"; "in the near future"; "they are near equals"; "his nearest approach to success"; "a very near thing"; "a near hit by the bomb"; "she was near tears"; "she was close to tears"; "had a close call"
- 2. near(prenominal), nigh(prenominal), left (vs. right)
- usage: being on the left side; "the near or nigh horse is the one on the left"; "the animal's left side is its near or nigh side"
- 3. near, artificial (vs. natural), unreal
- usage: closely resembling the genuine article; "near beer"; "a dress of near satin"
- 4. cheeseparing, close, near, penny-pinching, skinny, stingy (vs. generous), ungenerous
- usage: giving or spending with reluctance; "our cheeseparing administration"; "very close (or near) with his money"; "a penny-pinching miserly old man"
- 5. dear, good, near, close (vs. distant)
- usage: with or in a close or intimate relationship; "a good friend"; "my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
- 6. approximate, near, close (vs. distant)
- usage: very close in resemblance; "sketched in an approximate likeness"; "a near likeness"
- 1. near, nigh, close
- usage: near in time or place or relationship; "as the wedding day drew near"; "stood near the door"; "don't shoot until they come near"; "getting near to the true explanation"; "her mother is always near"; "The end draws nigh"; "the bullet didn't come close"; "don't get too close to the fire"
- 2. about, almost, most, nearly, near, nigh, virtually, well-nigh
- usage: (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but; "the job is (just) about done"; "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"; "we're almost finished"; "the car all but ran her down"; "he nearly fainted"; "talked for nigh onto 2 hours"; "the recording is well-nigh perfect"; "virtually all the parties signed the contract"; "I was near exhausted by the run"; "most everyone agrees"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of near (Dictionary)