- 1. mutter, muttering, murmur, murmuring, murmuration, mussitation, sound
- usage: a low continuous indistinct sound; often accompanied by movement of the lips without the production of articulate speech
- 2. grumble, grumbling, murmur, murmuring, mutter, muttering, complaint
- usage: a complaint uttered in a low and indistinct tone
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mumble, mutter, maunder, mussitate, talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise
- usage: talk indistinctly; usually in a low voice
- 2. murmur, mutter, grumble, croak, gnarl, complain, kick, plain, sound off, quetch, kvetch
- usage: make complaining remarks or noises under one's breath; "she grumbles when she feels overworked"
All rights reserved.
See also: mutter (Dictionary)