- 1. mother, female parent, parent
- usage: a woman who has given birth to a child (also used as a term of address to your mother); "the mother of three children"
- 2. mother, yeast, barm
- usage: a stringy slimy substance consisting of yeast cells and bacteria; forms during fermentation and is added to cider or wine to produce vinegar
- 3. mother, old woman
- usage: a term of address for an elderly woman
- 4. mother, abbess, mother superior, prioress
- usage: a term of address for a mother superior
- 5. mother, inspiration
- usage: a condition that is the inspiration for an activity or situation; "necessity is the mother of invention"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mother, fuss, overprotect, care, give care
- usage: care for like a mother; "She fusses over her husband"
- 2. beget, get, engender, father, mother, sire, generate, bring forth, make, create
- usage: make children; "Abraham begot Isaac"; "Men often father children but don't recognize them"
All rights reserved.
See also: mother (Dictionary)