Synonyms of mortifying
- 1. mortify, mortify, subdue, crucify, discipline, train, check, condition
- usage: practice self-denial of one's body and appetites
- 2. mortify, subdue, crucify, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: hold within limits and control; "subdue one's appetites"; "mortify the flesh"
- 3. humiliate, mortify, chagrin, humble, abase, hurt, wound, injure, bruise, offend, spite
- usage: cause to feel shame; hurt the pride of; "He humiliated his colleague by criticising him in front of the boss"
- 4. necrose, gangrene, mortify, sphacelate, waste, rot
- usage: undergo necrosis; "the tissue around the wound necrosed"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. embarrassing, mortifying, unpleasant (vs. pleasant)
- usage: causing to feel shame or chagrin or vexation; "the embarrassing moment when she found her petticoat down around her ankles"; "it was mortifying to know he had heard every word"
- 2. demeaning, humbling, humiliating, mortifying, undignified (vs. dignified)
- usage: causing awareness of your shortcomings; "golf is a humbling game"
All rights reserved.