Synonyms of modest
- 1. modest (vs. immodest), retiring, unassuming, humble
- usage: marked by simplicity; having a humble opinion of yourself; "a modest apartment"; "too modest to wear his medals"
- 2. modest, small, moderate (vs. immoderate)
- usage: not large but sufficient in size or amount; "a modest salary"; "modest inflation"; "helped in my own small way"
- 3. modest, unpretentious (vs. pretentious)
- usage: free from pomp or affectation; "comfortable but modest cottages"; "a simple rectangular brick building"; "a simple man with simple tastes"
- 4. modest (vs. immodest), coy, demure, overmodest, decent, decent, shamefaced, decent
- usage: not offensive to sexual mores in conduct or appearance
- 5. humble, low, lowly, modest, small, inferior (vs. superior)
- usage: low or inferior in station or quality; "a humble cottage"; "a lowly parish priest"; "a modest man of the people"; "small beginnings"
- 6. meek, mild, modest, humble (vs. proud)
- usage: humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness; "meek and self-effacing"
- 7. minor, modest, small, small-scale, pocket-size, pocket-sized, limited (vs. unlimited)
- usage: limited in size or scope; "a small business"; "a newspaper with a modest circulation"; "small-scale plans"; "a pocket-size country"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of modest (Dictionary)