Synonyms of moderating
- 1. moderate, chair, lead, hash out, discuss, talk over
- usage: preside over; "John moderated the discussion"
- 2. moderate, decelerate, slow down
- usage: make less fast or intense; "moderate your speed"
- 3. control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate, restrain, keep, keep back, hold back
- usage: lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger"
- 4. mince, soften, moderate, change, alter, modify
- usage: make less severe or harsh; "He moderated his tone when the students burst out in tears"
- 5. tone down, moderate, tame, change, alter, modify
- usage: make less strong or intense; soften; "Tone down that aggressive letter"; "The author finally tamed some of his potentially offensive statements"
- 6. chasten, moderate, temper, change, alter, modify
- usage: restrain
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. moderating (vs. intensifying), alleviative, alleviatory, lenitive, mitigative, mitigatory, palliative, analgesic, analgetic, anodyne, tempering, weakening
- usage: lessening in intensity or strength
All rights reserved.