WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mile, statute mile, stat mi, land mile, international mile, mi, linear unit, linear measure
- usage: a unit of length equal to 1,760 yards or 5,280 feet; exactly 1609.344 meters
- 2. nautical mile, mile, mi, naut mi, knot, international nautical mile, air mile, nautical linear unit
- usage: a unit of length used in navigation; exactly 1,852 meters; historically based on the distance spanned by one minute of arc in latitude
- 3. mile, large indefinite quantity, large indefinite amount
- usage: a large distance; "he missed by a mile"
- 4. sea mile, mile, nautical linear unit
- usage: a former British unit of length once used in navigation; equivalent to 6,000 feet (1828.8 meters)
- 5. nautical mile, naut mi, mile, mi, geographical mile, Admiralty mile, nautical linear unit
- usage: a former British unit of length equivalent to 6,080 feet (1,853.184 meters); 800 feet longer than a statute mile
- 6. mile, Roman mile, linear unit, linear measure
- usage: an ancient Roman unit of length equivalent to 1620 yards
- 7. mile, mil, Swedish mile, linear unit, linear measure
- usage: a Swedish unit of length equivalent to 10 km
- 8. mile, track event
- usage: a footrace extending one mile; "he holds the record in the mile"
All rights reserved.
See also: mile (Dictionary)