WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. clemency, mercifulness, mercy, lenience, leniency
- usage: leniency and compassion shown toward offenders by a person or agency charged with administering justice; "he threw himself on the mercy of the court"
- 2. mercifulness, mercy, humaneness
- usage: a disposition to be kind and forgiving; "in those days a wife had to depend on the mercifulness of her husband"
- 3. mercifulness, mercy, compassion, compassionateness
- usage: the feeling that motivates compassion
- 4. mercy, blessing, boon
- usage: something for which to be thankful; "it was a mercy we got out alive"
- 5. mercy, relief, succor, succour, ministration
- usage: alleviation of distress; showing great kindness toward the distressed; "distributing food and clothing to the flood victims was an act of mercy"
All rights reserved.
See also: mercy (Dictionary)