WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mechanism, chemical mechanism, chemical process, chemical change, chemical action
- usage: the atomic process that occurs during a chemical reaction; "he determined unique mechanisms for the photochemical reactions"
- 2. mechanism, mechanics, performance, execution, carrying out, carrying into action
- usage: the technical aspects of doing something; "a mechanism of social control"; "mechanisms of communication"; "the mechanics of prose style"
- 3. mechanism, natural object
- usage: a natural object resembling a machine in structure or function; "the mechanism of the ear"; "the mechanism of infection"
- 4. mechanism, philosophical doctrine, philosophical theory
- usage: (philosophy) the philosophical theory that all phenomena can be explained in terms of physical or biological causes
- 5. mechanism, device
- usage: device consisting of a piece of machinery; has moving parts that perform some function
All rights reserved.
See also: mechanism (Dictionary)