Synonyms of meaning
- 1. meaning, significance, signification, import, message, content, subject matter, substance
- usage: the message that is intended or expressed or signified; "what is the meaning of this sentence"; "the significance of a red traffic light"; "the signification of Chinese characters"; "the import of his announcement was ambiguous"
- 2. meaning, substance, idea, thought
- usage: the idea that is intended; "What is the meaning of this proverb?"
- 1. mean, intend, convey
- usage: mean or intend to express or convey; "You never understand what I mean!"; "what do his words intend?"
- 2. entail, imply, mean, necessitate
- usage: have as a logical consequence; "The water shortage means that we have to stop taking long showers"
- 3. mean, intend, signify, stand for
- usage: denote or connote; "`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
- 4. intend, mean, think
- usage: have in mind as a purpose; "I mean no harm"; "I only meant to help you"; "She didn't think to harm me"; "We thought to return early that night"
- 5. mean
- usage: have a specified degree of importance; "My ex-husband means nothing to me"; "Happiness means everything"
- 6. think of, have in mind, mean, associate, tie in, relate, link, colligate, link up, connect
- usage: intend to refer to; "I'm thinking of good food when I talk about France"; "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!"
- 7. mean, intend, destine, designate, specify
- usage: destine or designate for a certain purpose; "These flowers were meant for you"
- 1. meaning(prenominal), pregnant, significant, meaningful (vs. meaningless)
- usage: rich in significance or implication; "a meaning look"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of meaning (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.