WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. matrix, array
- usage: (mathematics) a rectangular array of quantities or expressions set out by rows and columns; treated as a single element and manipulated according to rules
- 2. matrix, rock, stone
- usage: (geology) amass of fine-grained rock in which fossils, crystals, or gems are embedded
- 3. matrix, enclosure, natural enclosure
- usage: an enclosure within which something originates or develops (from the Latin for womb)
- 4. matrix, intercellular substance, ground substance, body substance
- usage: the body substance in which tissue cells are embedded
- 5. matrix, animal tissue
- usage: the formative tissue at the base of a nail
- 6. matrix, mold, mould, cast
- usage: mold used in the production of phonograph records, type, or other relief surface
All rights reserved.
See also: matrix (Dictionary)