WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. maternal (vs. paternal), maternalistic, motherlike, motherly, matriarchal
- usage: characteristic of a mother; "warm maternal affection for her guest"- Dorothy Sayers
- 2. maternal
- usage: relating to or derived from one's mother; "maternal genes"
- 3. parental (vs. filial), maternal, paternal
- usage: relating to or characteristic of or befitting a parent; "parental guidance"
- 4. enate, enatic, maternal(predicate), related (vs. unrelated)
- usage: related on the mother's side; "my maternal grandmother"
All rights reserved.
See also: maternal (Dictionary)