- 1. marker, marking, mark, symbol
- usage: a distinguishing symbol; "the owner's mark was on all the sheep"
- 2. marking, design, pattern, figure
- usage: a pattern of marks
- 3. marking, grading, scoring, evaluation, rating
- usage: evaluation of performance by assigning a grade or score; "what he disliked about teaching was all the grading he had to do"
- 4. marking, decoration
- usage: the act of making a visible mark on a surface
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. tag, label, mark, attach
- usage: attach a tag or label to; "label these bottles"
- 2. mark, bespeak, betoken, indicate, point, signal
- usage: designate as if by a mark; "This sign marks the border"
- 3. distinguish, mark, differentiate, qualify, characterize, characterise
- usage: be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait; sometimes in a very positive sense; "His modesty distinguishes him from his peers"
- 4. commemorate, mark, observe, celebrate, keep
- usage: mark by some ceremony or observation; "The citizens mark the anniversary of the revolution with a march and a parade"
- 5. mark, change, alter, modify
- usage: make or leave a mark on; "the scouts marked the trail"; "ash marked the believers' foreheads"
- 6. stigmatize, stigmatise, brand, denounce, mark, label
- usage: to accuse or condemn or openly or formally or brand as disgraceful; "He denounced the government action"; "She was stigmatized by society because she had a child out of wedlock"
- 7. notice, mark, note
- usage: notice or perceive; "She noted that someone was following her"; "mark my words"
- 8. scar, mark, pock, pit, deface, disfigure, blemish
- usage: mark with a scar; "The skin disease scarred his face permanently"
- 9. score, nock, mark, notch
- usage: make small marks into the surface of; "score the clay before firing it"
- 10. set, mark, lay down, establish, make
- usage: establish as the highest level or best performance; "set a record"
- 11. score, mark, record, enter, put down
- usage: make underscoring marks
- 12. cross off, cross out, strike out, strike off, mark, take away, take out
- usage: remove from a list; "Cross the name of the dead person off the list"
- 13. check, check off, mark, mark off, tick off, tick, verify
- usage: put a check mark on or near or next to; "Please check each name on the list"; "tick off the items"; "mark off the units"
- 14. grade, score, mark, measure, evaluate, valuate, assess, appraise, value
- usage: assign a grade or rank to, according to one's evaluation; "grade tests"; "score the SAT essays"; "mark homework"
- 15. punctuate, mark, add
- usage: insert punctuation marks into
All rights reserved.
See also: marking (Dictionary)