- 1. function, mathematical function, single-valued function, map, mapping, mathematical relation
- usage: (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
- 2. mapping, chromosome mapping, procedure, process
- usage: (genetics) the process of locating genes on a chromosome
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. map, represent, interpret
- usage: make a map of; show or establish the features of details of; "map the surface of Venus"
- 2. map, explore
- usage: explore or survey for the purpose of making a map; "We haven't even begun to map the many galaxies that we know exist"
- 3. map, situate, locate
- usage: locate within a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known DNA or gene sequences; "map the genes"
- 4. map, map out, plan, project, contrive, design
- usage: plan, delineate, or arrange in detail; "map one's future"
- 5. map, picture, depict, render, show
- usage: depict as if on a map; "sorrow was mapped on the mother's face"
- 6. map, represent, permute, commute, transpose
- usage: to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets)
All rights reserved.
See also: mapping (Dictionary)