- 1. capital, capital letter, uppercase, upper-case letter, majuscule, character, grapheme, graphic symbol
- usage: one of the large alphabetic characters used as the first letter in writing or printing proper names and sometimes for emphasis; "printers once kept the type for capitals and for small letters in separate cases; capitals were kept in the upper half of the type case and so became known as upper-case letters"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. majuscule (vs. minuscule), majuscular, uppercase
- usage: of or relating to a style of writing characterized by somewhat rounded capital letters; 4th to 8th centuries
- 2. capital, great, majuscule, uppercase (vs. lowercase)
- usage: uppercase; "capital A"; "great A"; "many medieval manuscripts are in majuscule script"
All rights reserved.
See also: majuscule (Dictionary)