- 1. tarnish, stain, maculate, sully, defile, spot, fleck, blob, blot
- usage: make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically; "The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"; "Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man"
- 2. foul, befoul, defile, maculate, dishonor, disgrace, dishonour, attaint, shame
- usage: spot, stain, or pollute; "The townspeople defiled the river by emptying raw sewage into it"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. defiled, maculate, impure (vs. pure)
- usage: morally blemished; stained or impure
- 2. maculate, dirty (vs. clean), soiled, unclean
- usage: spotted or blotched
All rights reserved.
See also: maculate (Dictionary)