WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. humble, low, lowly, modest, small, inferior (vs. superior)
- usage: low or inferior in station or quality; "a humble cottage"; "a lowly parish priest"; "a modest man of the people"; "small beginnings"
- 2. junior-grade, lower-ranking, lowly, petty(prenominal), secondary, subaltern, junior (vs. senior)
- usage: inferior in rank or status; "the junior faculty"; "a lowly corporal"; "petty officialdom"; "a subordinate functionary"
- 3. humble, menial, lowly, unskilled (vs. skilled)
- usage: used of unskilled work (especially domestic work)
- 4. base, baseborn, humble, lowly, lowborn (vs. noble)
- usage: of low birth or station (`base' is archaic in this sense); "baseborn wretches with dirty faces"; "of humble (or lowly) birth"
All rights reserved.
See also: lowly (Dictionary)